If you’re trying to lose weight, you may have noticed that one of the main suggestions is to give up alcohol. Since many alcoholic drinks are high in calories, it’s easy to see why people jump to this conclusion. However, not all cocktails lead to weight gain. There are numerous low carb cocktails that you can sip on throughout your weight loss journey. That’s right – you don’t have to deprive yourself of yummy cocktails just to shed a few pounds! Check out 40 awesome recipes to enjoy cocktails on girls night!
How Does Alcohol Affect Weight Loss?
1. Alcohol Can Be High in Calories
Alcohol has a ton of calories, and all of these calories are empty calories, meaning they don’t have any nutritional value. Calories found in alcohol are quite concentrated compared to many foods, which causes people to take in a higher amount of calories than would usually be consumed. Alcohol itself has calories, and the things alcohol is typically mixed with, such as juice and pop, also have a lot of calories, sugars and carbs.
2. Alcohol Can Lead to Unnecessary Snacking
Alcohol tends to affect judgment calls and lowers your inhibitions, especially when it comes to food. You may be more likely to open another bag of chips or grab a few more slices of pizza than you usually would when you’ve been drinking. Alcohol can make you pay less attention to what and how much you’re eating, which can lead to unnecessary weight gain.
3. It Changes The Way Your Body Breaks Down Fat
When you drink alcohol, your body is more focused on breaking down the alcohol rather than burning fat. On top of that, your body is working to burn the calories from the alcohol, so it will take longer for you to lose weight. When your body focuses on removing alcohol from your system before processing the food you eat, it slows down your metabolism and can halt your weight loss progress.
4. Day After Health and Exercise Routine
After a heavy night of drinking, or, heck – even just a large glass of wine, it can affect your health and exercise routine the next day. If you’re hungover, it can be tough to drag yourself to the gym, resulting in skipping your workout. It can also affect your food choices the next day, perhaps leading to unhealthier choices to try to ease your hangover.
How to Lose Weight Without Giving Up Alcohol
1. Don’t Snack When You Drink
Whether you’re out at a restaurant or are having a girls night in, don’t have any snacks around when you drink. You’re more likely to go for high calorie, processed foods when you have alcohol in your system, so keeping snacks out of sight and out of mind is one of the best things you can do for your waistline.
2. Go Drink for Drink with Water
If you’re going to be drinking alcohol, go drink for drink with water. This will help you stay hydrated and fill you up, making it less likely for you to have another cocktail. It will also help prevent a hangover in the morning, making you more likely to stick to your health and fitness routine.
3. Stick to a Healthy, Active Lifestyle
If you truly want to lose weight without giving up alcohol, you need to commit to a healthy, active lifestyle. Indulging now and then is totally fine. Many people don’t want to give up drinking alcohol on girls’ nights or having a cocktail on vacation, and there’s nothing wrong with that. However, if you want to reach your weight loss goals, you have to eat a healthy diet and workout on a regular basis. Hit the gym three to four times a week and eat meals high in protein, vegetables and healthy fats. Stay away from processed, high sugar and high calorie foods as much as possible.
4. Try Low Carb Cocktails
Low carb cocktails are a great alternative to classic cocktails, especially if you’re trying to lose weight! There are plenty of sugar-free and carb-free cocktails you can enjoy without feeling guilt. Check out our favourite recipes below!
40 Low Carb Cocktails to Try
1. Low Carb Vodka Mojito | Ketogasm
2. Low Carb Ocean Breeze Cocktail | Low Carb-ology
3. Low Carb Gin Fizz | KetoDiet
4. Keto Rum Punch | I Breathe I’m Hungry
5. Sugar Free Margarita with Orange Extract | Very Well Fit
6. Low Carb Dark and Stormy | Low Carb-ology
7. Sugar Free Strawberry Spritzer | Sunny Sweet Days
8. Low Carb Sugar Free Lemon Drop Vodka Martini | Stay Snatched
9. Tart Cranberry Cooler | Peace, Love and Low Carb
10. Low Carb Cocktail-Vodka and Berries | Wonky Wonderful
11. Low Carb Sangria | Low Carb-ology
12. Low Carb Cranberry and Vodka | The Farmwife Drinks
13. Raspberry Chambord Gin Fizz | Boulder Locavore
14. Vodka Watermelon Cocktail | Joyful Healthy Eats
15. Rosemary Greyhound Cocktail | Melanie Makes
16. Sunny Cilantro Cucumber Vodka | Pickled Plum
17. Coconut Gin and Tonic | Minimalist Baker
18. Peach Martini with Raspberry | Food, Faith, Fitness
19. Pomegranate Spiked Cava | Pickled Plum
20. Cantaloupe Daiquiri | How Sweet Eats
21. Gingered Peach Bourbon Thyme Smash | Half Baked Harvest
22. Lemongrass Gin and Tonic | Salt & Wind
23. Rhubarb Strawberry Margarita | Minimalist Baker
24. Paloma Fizz | Broma Bakery
25. Keto Bloody Mary | I Breathe, I’m Hungry
26. Kombucha Sangria | How Sweet Eats
27. Pineapple Margarita Sparklers | Half Baked Harvest
28. Keto Lemon Drop | Fit Views
29. Low Carb Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash | Peace, Love and Low Carb
30. Low Carb Sex on the Beach | Low Carb-ology
31. Skinny Frozen Margarita | Gnom-Gnom
32. Low Carb Spicy Margarita | Keto Diet App
33. Low Carb Vodka Chata | My Life Cookbook
34. Low Carb Kahlua Cocktail | All Day I Dream About Food
35. Low Carb Tom Collins | Very Well Fit
36. Low Carb Caribbean Rum Punch | Low Carb-ology
37. Raspberry and Blackberry Mojitos | Keto Diet App
38. Peach Long Island Iced Tea | Low Carb-ology
39. Low Carb Pina Colada | Keto Diet App
40. Sugar Free Blueberry Margarita | All Day I Dream About Food
You don’t have to give up alcohol all together if you’re trying to lose weight. With these tips and recipes, you can enjoy your favourite cocktails and still reach your weight loss goals!